1.19.2009

Ice Fishing on the Volga River





If I'm not careful online one search leads to another and pretty soon I've followed a trail of ice fishers around the world. So here are two images of ice fishing Russian style. Apparently ice fishing in North America is often a very social activity but ice fishing in Scandinavia and in the Far East is often a more solitary activity. Ice fishing shacks also do not seem as prevalent abroad. Fishers simply wear layer upon layer of warm clothing.
The first photograph above is by photographer Andrew Moore,
an American photographer whose photographs of Russia taken between 2000 and 2004 are fascinating.
The second is an image I found in a Picasa gallery. I don't know anything about the photographer but I love the image. My assumption is that poverty and ingenuity as well as a lack of substantially warm clothing might account for this fisherman's use of a plastic bag to shield himself from the wind.

No comments: